Bisphenol A (BPA) is a chemical known to cause birth defects and is linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer, obesity, diabetes and numerous other serious health concerns. For more thank 40 years, BPA is a chemical that has been used to harden plastic. It’s in medical devices, CDs, dental sealants, water bottles, canned food and drink lining, and many other products. Basically, it’s everywhere.
California added this toxic chemical to Proposition 65 notifying that companies need to start warming consumers about BPA in their products. Given more than a year, canned food companies say they need more time to comply and CA has proposed an extension.
I get so frustrated when American companies ship food abroad (say Europe) without chemicals and sell the same items full of chemicals in the U.S. When lawmakers finally associate chemicals with health concerns, these companies drag their feet to keep you and your family safe.
What to do??
- Tell our lawmakers we deserve the right to know what’s in our food. Click Here
- Find BPA-free plastic and canned foods
- Choose non-plastic food containers (porcelain, glass, or stainless steel)
- Don’t heat plastic
- Use fewer canned foods (eat more fresh or frozen vegetables)
- Choose BPA-free infant formula
- Save the environment too and stop drinking disposable bottled water. Don’t reuse them either!
If you struggle with food, sometimes learning important information may be enough to deter you from buying that food.
If you’re interested in more information and learning how to have a great relationship with yourself, food, exercise, and build great habits, then set up a free health consultation at www.HappyFoodHealth.com or (619) 876-2655. See if this is the right match for you. I do things very differently to make health a natural lifestyle and this is not for everyone.
~ Samantha Hua, Nutrition & Health Coach, San Diego, CA