Cooking Without a Recipe
May 15, 2019
The part about my job that I dread the most is coming up with recipes. I know that sounds ridiculous considering that my main focus is getting people to cook.
I just love cooking without reading and
measuring. It’s so much more fun and for me, less stressful. Maybe if
we walked through the process step-by-step, you’ll get excited about
cooking without recipes too.
- What am I making? A bowl, a soup, a stir-fry, a “compartmentalized” meal (separated carb, protein, veggies)?
- What’s my protein? Beans, tofu, chicken, fish, seafood, turkey, red meat, etc.?
- What are my vegetables? Often time, it’s whatever is in my fridge or what might blend well together.
- What’s my complex carb? Quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, pasta, soba noodles, barley, etc.?
- What country am I cooking? This helps me figure out the herbs to use. I always start with onion and garlic sauteed in oil. Below are just a few examples:
Mexican: Chili, cumin, cilantro, oregano, onions
Italian: Garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary
Chinese: Ginger, star anise, red chili pepper, sesame, garlic
Thai: Basil, Chili, peppers, garlic, turmeric, lemon grass
Indian: Chili, saffron, cumin, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, cardamom
Moroccan: Turmeric, paprika, cumin, cinnamon
What if we made cooking that easy? We blend together all the ingredients we like, pretend we are traveling, and voila…delicious (because you only put in ingredients you love). I recognize that recipes help to explore/expand and help us feel more comfortable in the kitchen. Once we get the hang of it, be creative. Eat mother nature’s ingredients that you love.
Get some ideas with these simple free videos: https://happyfoodhealth.com/healthy-cooking-videos/
If you need help understanding nutrition and all the mixed messages out there, give us a call. We will address your stress level, eating habits, exercise, cravings, emotional eating, and overall health and happiness. Start with a free health consultation at www.HappyFoodHealth.com or (619) 876-2655. See if this is the right match for you. I do things very differently to make health a natural lifestyle and this is not for everyone. Check out Yelp for other people’s opinion of Happy Food.