Has weight loss been a struggle for you? Do you look at some thin people and wonder how they make it look so easy while you have tried numerous diets just to gain back all the weight plus more?
First let’s start with the story you tell yourself. Are you guilty of saying “it’s just my body type” or “I can’t lose weight because of my genes?” Our thoughts are everything. Change your words, and your life will change. Take that control and empowerment back! It’s easier said than done but we have to start lovingly feeding ourselves more productive, compassionate words. As we adjust our words to prevent self-sabotage, we also focus on our habits. These are habits that make weight loss and being lean/fit so natural and one day, even easy. Try them and get support.
- Give up dieting. I tell my clients, the best way to gain weight is to go on a diet. It does NOT work so just give it up. A strict diet leads us to eat more and we can’t sustain it for life.
- Home-cooked. It’s nearly impossible to be healthy when we rely on corporations and restaurants to cook for us. Whole, real food allows our body to self-regulate. Collect your top 5 – 10 recipes and change up the protein, vegetables, and whole grains. Find EASY meals that you enjoy. I love simple.
- Movement. We have to move DAILY. We are too sedentary. Focus on 10,000 steps and doing things you enjoy so that you’ll keep doing them. Don’t hit workouts that you hate. It won’t last; you’ll just quit and where does that lead you? Plus, if you over-exercise, you end up burning muscle instead of fat. Stay within your optimal fat-burning range.
- Grocery shopping. Get into the habit of making this regular. When there’s good food at home, we will eat it. When we aren’t prepared, then we hit the fast food or convenience. Everyone blames discipline but I don’t focus on discipline at all. It’s all about the mind, habits, and planning. You do NOT lack discipline so stop telling yourself that. Demand fresh food for yourself; you are worth it.
- Chew & mindful. Sounds so easy but oh so hard to do. Chew your food and eat mindfully (not multi-tasking). You’ll see that you eat far less without even trying. You’ll be full with less and walk away satisfied. Why not taste it, enjoy it, and slow down enough to live life…maybe with a smile and a light heart while eating.
- Smaller plates. It’s that simple. We fill our plates. Use a smaller plate and our visual perception tricks us to think we have plenty of food on the plate to satisfy us. Use a large plate of the same serving and you’ll feel deprived.
- Don’t be fooled by health claims. Food manufacturers will say anything on the label to get you to buy. Not only will you buy the product but it has a halo effect that gives you license to cheat because you’ve been good. It happens to the best of us. It’s just human nature (research proven).
- Keep the junk away. Don’t have it around and you won’t be tempted. Why do we torture ourselves by having our favorite treats around expecting we won’t eat them. If they are my weakness, I will eat them. So simple. Have lots of fruits and vegetables readily available at all times.
If you need help understanding nutrition and all the mixed messages out there, give us a call. We will address your stress level, diet, exercise, cravings, emotional eating and overall health and happiness. Start with a free health consultation at www.HappyFoodHealth.com or (619) 876-2655. See if this is the right match for you. I do things very differently to make health a natural lifestyle and this is not for everyone. Check out Yelp for other people’s opinion of Happy Food.
~ Samantha Hua, Nutrition & Holistic Health Coach